Published On May 23, 2017
Upcoming Amazon Telephone Screen? Learn how to answer non-technical questions for $50: https://amazoninterview.coach/#services
Looking for someone to role-play before your interview? (free) https://amazoninterview.coach/role-play.php
00:00 1. Customer obsession: start with the customer and work backwards; work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust; pay attention to competitors, but keep obsessing over customers
2. Ownership: think like an owner, long term and don’t sacrifice long-term value for short-term results; act on behalf of the entire company, not just for your own team; never say “that’s not my job"
3. Invent and simplify: expect and require innovation and invention from your team and always find ways to simplify; be externally aware, always look for new ideas from everywhere, and don’t be limited by “not invented here"
4. Leaders are right a lot 1:52 : you have strong judgment and good instincts; you seek diverse perspectives and work to disconfirm your beliefs
5. Frugality 3:50 : accomplish more with less. Constraints breed resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and invention. There are no extra points for growing headcount, budget size or fixed expense
6. Hire and develop the best 5:01 : raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion; recognize exceptional talent, and willingly move them throughout the organization; develop leaders and take seriously your role in coaching others
7. Earn trust 5:05 : listen attentively, speak candidly, and treat others respectfully. Be vocally self-critical, even when doing so is awkward or embarrassing; leaders do not believe their or their team’s body odor smells of perfume; benchmark yourself and your team against the best.
8. Insist on the highest standards 7:42 : you have relentlessly high standards - many may think these standards are unreasonably high; you are continually raising the bar and driving your team to deliver high quality products, services and processes; defects do not get sent down the line and problems are fixed so they stay fixed
9. Bias for action 11:34 : speed matters in business. Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive study. We value calculated risk taking.
10. Learn and be curious 11:34 : you are never done learning and you always seek to improve; you are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them
11. Have backbone. Disagree and commit 13:26 : respectfully challenge decisions when you disagree, even when doing so is uncomfortable or exhausting; have conviction and be tenacious; do not compromise for the sake of social cohesion; once a decision is determined, commit to it.
12. Dive deep 13:26 : operate at all levels, stay connected to the details, audit frequently, and be skeptical when metrics and anecdote differ. No task is beneath you.
13. Think big 16:04 : thinking small is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Create and communicate a bold direction that inspires results. Think differently and look around corners for ways to serve customers.
14. Deliver results 16:04 : focus on the key inputs for your business and deliver with the right quality and in a timely fashion; despite setbacks, rise to the occasion and never settle